Happy New Year! Can you believe it’s 2016 already!? Is it me or did the past few years just flash by? Maybe it’s because I have a little tiny human growing in my house. Roy will be turning 3 this upcoming July! My husband and I are in constant mesmerization at the beauty of his innocence, sweet voice, endearing curiosity and his…fluffy cheeks.😋 Seriously. Those cheeks! Ahhhh I just can’t get enough. 😍
That’s why I L💘VE long weekends. I get to sneak in even more kisses and cuddles. For a working momma like me, long weekends tend to attract my friends; cleaning, laundry and cooking. These particular friends can be such time hoarders! It’s like they don’t understand (or care) how inconsiderate that is.
So it’s the 1st and I decide to take control and start winning already in the new year. What do I make? Roasted Veggie Quinoa Pilaf ← coincides with some of the items on my resolutions’ list.
- Cook amazing things.
- Eat a little healthier.
- Spend more QT (quality time) with Roy’s cheeks.
This recipe looks and tastes absolutely deliciously healthy. Easy with no fuss = additional time on my hands. Win. Win. Win! 😉
I love adding veggies to quinoa brining color and interest to an otherwise well…boring and dull grain. I’m sorry quinoa but it’s the truth.
And the simple action of roasting the veggies (specifically red bell peppers), amplifies the flavors and sweetness. In this recipe, I add green and red bell peppers, zucchini, red onion and garlic. Toss them all with spices and olive oil over a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Look at them beautiful colors!
Meanwhile, the quinoa can be cooked in broth. Once the veggies are ready, mix them with the quinoa and all done! How easy is that??
Try squeezing some fresh lemon juice over this dish before serving. OH SOOO GOOD! You can also freeze this recipe. We like to freeze individual portions for work or a lazy night.
So what are some of your resolutions for the new year? 🙂
What I’ve used in this recipe:
Here’s a complete list of my kitchen essentials.
- Red Pepper - 2, diced.
- Green Pepper - 1, diced.
- Zucchini - 2, diced.
- Red Onion - 1, chopped.
- Garlic Cloves - 8, peeled and sliced.
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Zesty Italian Dry Dressing Mix - 1 tsp.
- Salt & Pepper - to taste.
- Quinoa - 2 cups.
- Broth - 4 cups.
- Olive Oil - 1 tsp.
- Salt - ½ tsp.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, toss all the 'Roasted Veggies' ingredients and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a stock pot or Dutch Oven, combine the 'Quinoa' ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Add the roasted veggies to the cooked quinoa, gently combine and taste check.
- When serving, add freshly cracked black pepper and a squeeze (or more) of lemon juice. Enjoy!