With just 3 main ingredients, Simple Spinach Tofu With Turmeric Rice was an absolute hit this week!
Sometimes, all you need is a warm bowl filled with simple, healthy, comforting whole foods. But we’re not giving up on taste here. The squeezed lemon juice that I add on top of the spinach?? It just puts this dish over the top. And it’s all ready in 30 minutes!
Oh, and did I mention super affordable too? We started this new budget and let me tell you, this recipe makes cooking on a budget look so darn easy. We can easily stock up on brown rice, tofu and spinach from Costco. We usually have brown rice at least once or twice a week. Buying large bags of rice costs our family like less than $30 a year! Talk about stretching that dollar. This will definitely be a favorite in 2016.
So you start by cooking your rice. I add broth for flavor and turmeric for color. As the rice is cooking, brown your tofu squares over medium-high heat to your liking. Let them cook on the 1st side for about 10 minutes. Add grated fresh ginger and any other dry seasoning of your choice. Just pick and choose from your pantry. Then, flip the squares and let them cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat onto a paper towel to soak up the oil.
Add your spinach one cup at a time to the same pan with additional spices to your liking until wilted, about 5 minutes.
In a serving bowl, add rice then top with spinach on one side and tofu on the other. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and generously squeeze lemon juice on top of the spinach and enjoy! Even my toddler enjoyed it! 🙂
This is so easy, tasty and practical → you’ll be kissing those ridiculously time consuming recipes you pinned earlier today goodbye! 😉
- Brown Rice - 1 cup.
- Vegetable Broth - 2 cups.
- Turmeric - ½ tsp.
- Tofu - 14 oz package, Firm, cut into squares.
- Olive Oil - 3 tbsp.
- Spinach - 6 cups.
- Ginger - freshly grated, to taste.
- Salt & Pepper - to taste.
- Dry Seasoning of Choice - to taste
- Lemon Juice - freshly squeezed, to taste.
- Sesame Seeds - to taste.
- Add all ingredients to a medium sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Stir once, lower heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Fluff before serving.
- Over medium-high heat, heat olive oil in a deep pan then add tofu in one single layer. May need to cook in batches.
- Top with grated ginger as well as spices to taste.
- Cook until lightly browned, flipping once. About 15 minutes.
- Remove tofu and place on paper towel.
- Add spinach to same pan, one cup at a time until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a serving bowl, add rice then top with spinach on one side and tofu on the other.
- Add some sesame seeds and generously squeeze lemon juice on top of the spinach and serve!