Nothing screams SPRING or SUMMER more than fresh tender green asparagus. And nothing looks more enticing than THIS roasted asparagus creamy soup!
I love asparagus and cooking it as a side dish but my husband isn’t too fond of the taste. No matter how I’ve prepared it in the past; steamed/sautéed, roasted, boiled…you name it…not more than one piece managed to enter his mouth. Not until recently, this summer, when I whipped up my roasted asparagus creamy soup, his taste buds came around and would not skip a serving of this stuff! And that in itself says a lot because he could care less for soup in general.
It’s a vibrant soup with an amazing smooth texture. I mean did you see these pictures!? Did you see that amazing color? Who am I kidding. You’re not even reading this anymore. You’re already making…I mean eating this soup because it’s SO simple to make yet deliciously creamy and full of succulent asparagus flavor. I know. I knowww. I told you. It’s sooo goood! You’re welcome 🙂
For those of you still reading, roasting the asparagus with onion and garlic adds a deeper, more intense flavor to the soup. If you’ve ever tried boiling asparagus, you’ll definitely taste the difference here.
I also use nutritional yeast which adds a nutty/cheesy taste as well as protein! Some of you might be like hold on…what the helk is nutritional yeast? If you’ve never heard of or used nutritional yeast before, I know how strange this ingredient might sound. It’s a seasoning in the form of flakes and has a very distinct flavor. It’s a commonly used ingredient in vegetarian and vegan dishes as an alternative to cheese. I actually had a hard time finding some at the local grocery store so I ended up ordering Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning from Amazon.
The lemon juice and sour cream also add a refreshing tang. My mouth is watering just typing this! I can’t wait another minute to have another bowl of this stuff…and off I go!
What I’ve used in this recipe:
Here’s a complete list of my kitchen essentials.
Check out this healthy smoothie recipe that my husband made recently with the Vitamix.
- Asparagus - 2 lbs, large
- Olive Oil - 1-2 tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Red Onion - ½, sliced
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth - 2 cups
- Dried Thyme - ½ tsp
- Almond Milk - ½ cup
- Nutritional Yeast - 2 tbsp
- Salt & Pepper - to taste
- Fresh Lemon Juice - a squeeze
- Sour Cream - a spoonful
- Green Onions - chopped, to taste
- Black Pepper - freshly cracked, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place asparagus, garlic and onion on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Roast for about 15-18 minutes or until tender. Make sure to not let them burn.
- Reserve some of the asparagus tips for garnish.
- Add the roasted asparagus mixture to a blender (I used Vitamix). Pour broth and blend using the soup option until hot.
- Lower speed and add the almond milk and nutritional yeast, blend for an additional 15 seconds just to combine.
- Taste check for any additional salt. (If not using a Vitamix, you can pour contents into a large pot to heat everything through).
- When serving, top with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice, some sour cream, reserved asparagus tips, chopped green onions and freshly cracked pepper.