So here’s the deal: It’s freaking COLD outside. Like waaaaay too cold. And it’s about to get even colder. It’s going to be a whopping 6 degrees this Saturday.
I’m looking forward to bundling up and cuddling with my boys under kitchen table tents. And also, maybe re-organizing my closet and trying on all my clothes/shoes in the process. It’s the only way to put away clothes neatly. 😛 But most importantly, I’m looking forward to making this AH-MAZING bowl of vegetarian chili again. Because this is THE most satisfying cold weather cozy option. Introducing Crock Pot Black Bean Lentil Quinoa Chili everyone!
I made this last week and served it with tortilla chips for dipping and let me tell you…every bite was just pure warm-ifying bliss!
With the right amount of flavorings, this vegetarian, healthy and delicious chili can easily be made vegan if you choose your toppings wisely. But the yogurt and cheese? Nom Nom, Nom Nom Nom! Goes so well with the tortilla chips. It was a bit addicting.
To boost the flavors and make my house smell good, I started by sautéing onion, garlic, red bell pepper with the coriander and cumin in my Dutch Oven.
Stirred in some tomato paste, added chopped tomatoes and oregano.
I let that cook for about 5 minutes.
Then, I added the cooked mixture into my Crock Pot with all the remaining ingredients.
Gave everything a good stir and let it cook on high for 4.5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
And voila! You have a thick, creamy, satisfying warm chili!
Top with your favorite ingredients like freshly squeezed lemon juice, Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips.
Time to dip and crunch away with no regard to your surroundings. Stay warm and cozy friends! 🙂
What I’ve used in this recipe:
Here’s a complete list of my kitchen essentials
- Red Onion - 1, chopped.
- Garlic Cloves - 4, minced.
- Red Bell Pepper - 1, chopped.
- Baby Carrots - 1 cup, sliced.
- Tomatoes - 4 cups, chopped.
- Black Beans - 2 (15oz) cans, rinsed and drained.
- Brown Lentils - 1 cup, dry.
- Quinoa - ½ cup, uncooked.
- Corn - 1 cup, frozen.
- Vegetable Broth - 6 cups.
- Coriander - 1 tbsp.
- Cumin - 1 tbsp.
- Oregano - 1 tbsp.
- Chilli Powder - 3 tbsp.
- Tomato Paste - 1 tbsp.
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Greek Yogurt
- Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Avocados
- Tortilla Chips
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven, heat oil over medium heat. Sautee onion, garlic, red bell pepper, carrots, coriander and cumin for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, add chopped tomatoes, oregano and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked mixture into your Crock-Pot.
- Top with all remaining ingredients and give it all a good stir.
- Cover and coook on high for 4.5 hours or low for 8 hours.