Mushy green beans smothered in canned cream of mushroom soup? Thanks, but no thanks! I’ve never been a fan of the iconic Thanksgiving side dish. I’ve easily opted for the mashed potatoes and stuffing or the tabbouleh, grape leaves or any other side from my Lebanese mom’s unlimited repertoire. With that said, this recipe is not your typical green bean casserole!
I came across a recipe on the Cook Eat Be Healthy blog using a cashew sauce and I was inspired! I just couldn’t wait. I had to create Cashew Cream Green Bean Casserole BEFORE Thanksgiving! Move over cream of mushroom canned soup, I’m electing a healthier and trendier replacement. This casserole is filled with tender crisp green beans, rich with mushroom deliciousness that is smothered in cashew cream heaven and topped with perfect crispy onions.
The cashew cream is just amazing and can be the perfect healthy (or vegan) swap for any heavy cream, milk or in this case cream of mushroom soup. It’s rich, creamy and so versatile. With a few adjustments, it can be used for savory or sweet recipes. I’m looking forward to experimenting with this as an alternate option for creamy ingredients.
In the meantime, I’ll be licking the seldom leftovers in my baking dish of this amazing Cashew Cream Green Been Casserole. It’s time for you to give your green bean casserole a makeover too! 😉
What I’ve used in this recipe:
Here’s a complete list of my kitchen essentials
- Green Beans - 1.5 lbs, ends trimmed and washed
- Red Onion - ½ large, sliced
- Baby Bella Mushrooms - 1 lb, sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- Crispy Onions (Fresh Gourmet Lightly Salted) - 1 cup
- Raw Cashews - 1 cup, soaked in cold water, covered and refrigerated for at least 2 hours then drained
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Dried Thyme - ½ tsp
- Black Pepper - ½ tsp
- Garlic Salt - ½ tsp
- Water - ¾ cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet and sautee mushrooms and onions until juices have reduced.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, blend drained cashews with water, garlic, thyme, pepper and garlic salt until creamy. Add additional water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- In a large bowl combine the beans, cooked mushrooms and onions and mix well with the cashew cream.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 35 minutes.
- Add the Crispy Onions then bake again for another 5 minutes.
- Inspired by Lisa's recipe Green Bean Casserole CEBH Style.